We know that our children start school with different levels of mathematics understanding. Our curriculum is designed to ensure that all children have access to progressive, creative and engaging opportunities in maths; preparing them for their future as a lifelong learner. Specific language development and practical experiences in maths will enable them to become “deep thinkers” acquiring maths skills that can be recalled quickly and transferred and applied in different contexts. The challenges presented in maths will enable children to become resilient, making clear connections across the areas of maths, using their knowledge in other subjects and in their everyday lives.
Subject Leader Promise:
My name is Mrs Decicco and I am the Maths subject leader at Alexandra Infants’ school. My promise to our children is to ensure that there is equal opportunity for all. Each child at our school is inspired to achieve and be the best they can be. The curriculum has been designed so that the needs of each individual child are met and they are able to make progress and achieve. At Alexandra Infants School, we teach daily mathematics in every year group. Each lesson begin with an engaging and exciting starter entitled ‘Can I still? It is at that point, that children can recall previous learning to help embed skills and fluency. Each session involves the children building on prior learning in an active and fun way. The children are able to use resources to help them learn. Our curriculum has been developed so that the children’s learning is challenged and they are able to learn and become independent and resilient learners. They have the use of concrete manipulatives and pictorial representations before moving on to more abstract and formal methods. All objectives are taught through skills, varied fluency, problem solving and reasoning to ensure greater understanding and key concepts are embedded.
At Alexandra Infants, the children begin their mathematical journey in the EYFS. At this point, there is a great importance placed on developing a deep understanding of numbers and the number system. This is then built upon when the children move into KS1.
Link Governor: Mrs Stembie
At Alexandra Infants’, the Maths curriculum is split into the different areas ensure that the children gain the common body of knowledge set out by the national curriculum. The national curriculum for Maths aims to ensure that all pupils:
· become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics.
· pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
· reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
· can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and nonroutine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Our school based curriculum drivers, the 5 E’s, develop the skills of the whole child and these are threaded throughout the Maths curriculum with a particular focus on rapid recall of number facts. Alongside this is our Alexandra Promise that supports the PE by providing children with activities such as:
· Dress up like a pirate and make a treasure map with co-ordinates.
· Make some biscuits (weight)
· Make and taste chapattis (weight)
· Buy something and check your change (money)
· Bake a cake (weight, time)
· Play a board game (counting)
· Plan a party (money)
The children at Alexandra Infants are able to access a variety of extra-curricular activities through the academic year. Some of the activities that our children have had the opportunity to experience:
· Number day
· Times Table Rockstar Day
· Young Enterprise Week
· Cake Sales
· Sponsored Event (linked to raising money)
· Maths Week